Monday, July 22, 2013

Tamiya Saint Dragon Restoration (part 2)

After almost a year and a half I finally finished restoring the Saint Dragon (58083).  The first installment of the restoration included evaluating the chassis, purchasing replacement parts where necessary and selecting some vintage hop-ups to use in the rebuild.

Because I subsequently purchased a runner Madcap chassis and just recently finished its restoration, I decided to keep the original red friction shocks on the Saint Dragon and make this rebuild more of a shelf queen.  The condition of this chassis is much nicer than the Madcap and I want to keep it that way.  The black C.V.A. shocks intended for this car went to the Madcap, however the other hop-ups, including the motor plate (53060), Thorp 48P gear set and Astute universal joints were used as I had planned. 

I followed the manual to ensure a proper rebuild, substituting hop-up parts where required.  Ball bearings replaced the plastic bushings, of course.

Here is the almost-finished chassis before the shocks and radio system were installed:




During the rebuild, the thin chassis front screw posts started to groan and slightly split, so I added some springs on the outside of the posts for reinforcement.  It helped prevent the posts from breaking further.  As I have mentioned before, these posts are one of the weakest parts of this otherwise excellent chassis.

Springs helped reinforce the weak screw posts

I used a Tamiya TEU-104BK electronic speed control with Novak 3 Amp BEC circuit (5460), Futaba R113ip receiver and Futaba S148 servo for radio gear.  The motor is an Epic Paradox 27T stock motor with 19T 48P pinion meshed to the vintage Thorp 48P gear and ball diff set. 







I have to admit I was a little bit nervous to trim the original vintage body.  I wasn't sure how brittle the plastic had become and did not want to cause an unwanted crack in the body during the trimming process.  There were already signs of stress fracturing in some parts of the body where some tight bends were located and the worst thing that could happen is for the plastic to split in those locations.

Before I started trimming the body, I decided to wash it completely using soapy water both inside and out.  Then I soaked the body in very hot water for approximately 15 minutes.  My hope was that the plastic would absorb some of the water and become slightly less brittle.  I know nylon parts can be boiled to restore their flexibility, so why not try a similar approach with polycarbonate?  I did not boil the body for fear of warping, but the water was hotter than I could handle with my hands.  I have no idea if the hot water soak helped at all, but the body did not split, crack or break during the trimming process.


Tamiya had already pre-drilled the body mount holes and the antenna hole, plus the rear vents and the inside part of the front shock cutouts were pre-cut which made trimming much easier and faster.  I used an X-Acto knife with a fresh #11 blade to do most of the trimming because it seemed to stress the body less than using lexan scissors.  Also, the body has some very deep and intricate inside corners which are extremely difficult to do with scissors.  I carefully scored a continuous line all the way around the body by following the molded-in cutout lines, then, using lexan scissors, cut the excess lexan at strategic corner points.  The scissor cuts were made in such a way that the lexan pieces could be bent along the score line and separated from the main body.  The resulting edges were amazingly smooth and as straight as the score line itself, so precision is more important than speed when scoring.  In all, it probably took about 3 hours to completely trim and sand the body.

Once trimming was finished I masked the cockpit window on the inside of the body and painted it using Tamiya PS-1 white polycarbonate spray paint (86001).  Finally, I applied a set of original Tamiya decals using the soapy water technique.





A couple decals (the gray/silver ones above the cockpit window) want to wrinkle even after completely drying and undergoing extensive heat treatment with a hair dryer and toothpick.  Not sure what can be done about that, but overall it still looks pretty good.

I remember seeing pictures of the Saint Dragon years ago and thinking how ugly the body styling looked.  As such, it was never on my list of vintage cars to buy.  But because this car was in such great condition, including the original, uncut body, I had to respect its history and properly make it into a complete Saint Dragon box art restoration.  After finishing the work, I have to say that I am glad I did.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh! what a envy, your chassis is in mint condition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a saint dragon, bought for circa 80 dollars

    ReplyDelete