Friday, November 11, 2011

Quick Kyosho Blizzard update

It has been a long time since the last update.  I plan on updating more often now that winter is coming.  We'll see how that goes.

The Blizzard restoration got stalled at the point where the body needs painting.  I just could not get interested in painting this summer, plus I'm not sure what color layout I want to use.  I know I want to use red and black with clear or slightly tinted windows, and I think I want the major color to be red with black accents, but I have not been able to focus on the exact design.  I'll think about it some more during the cold season and hopefully be ready to paint this spring when it gets warm again.

As for the chassis, it is ready to go.  All mechanics and electronics have been fitted except for minor things like the receiver, mixer board, and ESC switches.

The most exciting part of this update is the new blade lift mechanism.  I used an aluminum threaded tube and aluminum rod ends with stainless steel ball inserts.   The two red servo arms that I showed in an earlier post were drilled out to fit over the pivot shaft.  Aluminum collars on either side hold them in position so they don't slide around.  Steel M3 threaded shafts were used to link the pieces together along with some M3 nuts with plastic inserts.  Check it out.
The main aluminum shaft is 73mm long.
A Futaba aluminum servo horn completes the linkage
The red servo horns should complement the body color nicely
Using twin servo horns allowed for a nice symmetrical look and plenty of strength
Duratrax 3x18mm hinge pins replaced the original screws
Washers, spacers, and a rubber o-ring were used to space things out and provide cushioning


There is almost no up/down play now with the plow blade.  Everything is really strong and I think it looks great.

No comments:

Post a Comment